Sunday, January 2, 2011

Volunteering not to run

The Marathon in January is the big run of the summer here at McMurdo. But since it is so far away from the beginning of the season, there are several smaller runs held to work up to it. The first is the Turkey Trot held during Thanksgiving, and the second is The Scott's Hut run or 10k. This was the race I volunteered for. Originally I was going to be a water girl, handing out life giving liquid to those in dire needs, but Linda suggested we be time takers. Okay, I agreed having no preference either way. Taking time actually takes three people, believe it or not. One to call out the runners number, one to read the time, and one to record. I was the recorder, praying that the pen I was using would not suddenly have the ink freeze. The day was bright and sunny, a little surprising considering the earlier drear, but still cold.

Align Center
Runners waiting at the starting/finishing line

Go!!!

Italic
And they're off!

There were around 30 runners for this race, all varying ages and shapes, with the fastest time being 32 minutes and 45 seconds. Everyone made it back, a little sweatier, but all with smiles and high fives. I truly enjoyed the event and I would love to help with the marathon later on, but we'll see how that works out. Till then, happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment