Saturday, February 5, 2011

Christchurch ~ R and R ~ Third Day

So today I got out of Christchurch. Took public transportation to the Gondola. It was great getting out and being independent. Riding with the other locals was amusing because you always wondering where they are going, what lives they are leading, and what it must be like to be from New Zealand. The ride up the Gondola was beautiful, with all the landscape unfolding around you the higher you got.











I even saw wild life . . . .


Once you reach the top there is a shop, a cafe and a cute ride that took you through the "history of the Lyttelton City" below. It is a natural harbor town with a history of seafaring and the Maori culture. I chose to hike down to the city and the trail was beautiful but steep, around a 75% angle.

Start of the trail . . . . looks a little rustic



Looking back up where the gondola building is from a quarter down the trail

It was a beautiful walk all the way down and then I strolled through the small town looking for some good fish and chips. I asked around and was recommended this place . . .


I chose from the wrong menu and got the frozen fish and chips. Only after I was sitting down, waiting, did I realize there were two menus and the second one was the fresh catch of the day. Oh well. So after I ate my frozen fish, I strolled the small town, stopped into the organic store and then started the trek back up.
Doesn't look steep, but trust me it was

First mistake, not waiting for my food to settle. So panting before I even reach the trail head, I make it up about one quarter of the way and then stop to catch my breath. Already I feel like I'm going to throw up having eaten and then decided to hike a mountain. Second I've run out of water and am starting to get thirsty. So a second group of people pass by me and then something strange happens. All that is white gets really bright, like a you pushed up the light switch and the light spills outside the borders of the object and my body starts to feel heavy. Then the lights are turned down and the shadows take over getting darker and darker. Soon all that is left is the outlines, like when you stare at something bright for long time, then close your eyes and all you see is the red fainted image that once was.

I was about to black out. This was the only thing I could think. Here on this trail, I'm going to black out and then what? Will someone come along? Not here, I kept chanting in my head. I won't black out. Raising a lead heavy arm I reached for my sunglasses thinking it might help with the strange vision problem and giving me something to do. It helped a little, or maybe the distraction did, I'm not sure. Standing there feeling weighted, I looked out at the horizon and told myself I wasn't going to black out. Slowly my vision corrected itself and I felt myself again. Looking up the trail, to the building I debated on continuing. Could I do it? I pushed on, not wanting to surrender to the challenge of the hike, skittish at what may happen but refusing to give up. I went another 100 feet and thought, is it really worth it? I found a cement bench, took a seat and debated with myself. Finally going down won, and I rode the bus back. I'm going back though, when I get off the Ice and doing it again. This time from the bottom up. That mountain doesn't have me licked. I'm going to beat it. I will.

So this is what happen on my third day of R and R . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment