Monday, February 28, 2011

Official Delta Driver


I did it. I’m now fully Delta Certified. Me, who started out learning to drive in a Geo Metro, has now transported live passengers to and from the runway without killing them or falling through the ice in a Delta. I’m psyched. I would definitely come back as a shuttle drive if I ever came back. I love the Deltas, big orange, awkward lumbering beasts that they are. Always breaking down, groaning, and moaning, they still trek on day after day transporting passengers from place to place.

I got to drive all the way out to Pegasus which is a 40 minute drive each way. Geoff came along as moral support and guidance should I need it, and it helped just having him there. The weather was beautiful, and my cargo of passengers were all happy they were getting to leave. Their contracts were up and they were headed off the ice. We were a caravan of two Deltas and an airporter. In total I think we had 60 passengers leaving that day. They flew out on the 757, which is a New Zealand plane. After making sure they were all safely aboard, and my toes were completely numb, we drove back and took some of the pot holes a little fast, sending us both up out of our seats with a laugh and whoo. I can’t believe I got to learn how to do this. Such a great opportunity and all because I asked and got to stay the winter. Wow!





No comments:

Post a Comment