Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Winter Boondoggle


My name was drawn from the hat two days again for a Boondoggle today. I was pleased and confused only because for my two hour adventure I got the full work day off. OFF. Can you believe that? I couldn't and had to bug my supervisor several times before he finally looked me in the eye and said “Yes, you get the FULL day off. Now go finish dish.”

Wow, a day off and a boondoggle for it. Others had gone out “flagging” - putting the flags up that mark the roads, and it had been an all day “working” boondoggle. So yes they got the full day off, but they worked the full day. I didn’t work, got to do some chores and still get off base. It was a true blessing that revived my spirit and renewed my belief in miracles.

What was it you’re probably asking. Well I got to ride in a Piston Bully (a kind of Snow Cat for Antarctica) and go plow the trail up to Castle Rock. There were a number of firsts involved in this but let me explain something here. I had no idea how many people were going, which Piston Bully we were taking and other logistically information. Those that had gone on Boondoggles before, the “flagging” experience, had gone with several others so I imagined the same.



Imagine my pleasure when I learned it was a private ride. Just me and the driver, a Floridian named Dave. I’d seen him around base but never really got to know him till now. For two and a half luxurious hours we chatted and plowed the wondress white snow into waves that curled away from the snow plow and fell to the wayside. In a heated cab made of windows, the white beauty of the continent fell away from me and I devoured the beauty in the fading light. Dave was a wonderful guide and driver, relaxed and good natured. We got along like friends and enjoyed the trip together.




We wound our way up the back route to Castle Rock, a way I had never come even in the summer, and climbed straight up the steep mountain face almost at a 50 degree angle, plugging along with our little Piston Bully’s tracks digging into the snow. We chugged up the hill like the little engine that could (although our little engine was painted red and consisted of a hydraulic plow that could rotate, pivot, swivel, tilt, flap and possibly make coffee if we could have found the right button).



When we reached Castle Rock, we got out and climbed the small ridge to catch the blazing red slash that was the sunset. The sun does not come up past the horizon line any more, but it still shines its lights over the lip as it can. Snapping photos as my hands slowly turned numb, we enjoyed the majestic beauty of the winter scene in silence and then after a few more photos with our little “Bully” we headed back to town. Oh what a wonderful day it has been. Laundry is done, chores are finished, I got to take a trip off base, catch one of the few last glows of the season, ride in a Piston Bully, and do it all before dinner time. God, it has been a wonderful blessing and I know I can thank you because you’re the handed that plucked my name from the hat. Sigh - I am smiling like a child, exhausted from all the fun, and luxuriating in the moment of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment