Monday, May 2, 2011

Winterdance


I was gifted a wonderful read not too long ago and I want to share it. The book is titled Winterdance by Gary Paulsen and about dog mushing. Now don’t sigh and roll your eyes just because I mentioned dog mushing because you can’t judge this book yet. I was given it because those here know the challenge I face when I leave and are supportive about it. Thinking this book would help illuminate my rather dark mind on what dog sledding is like, it was handed over.

It has been a pleasure to read let me tell you. I have not laughed so often or out loud in a long time. The author Gary, describes his beginnings with dog sledding, doing it for trapping, and his gradual desire to do one of the man’s toughest races - the Iditarod. His word usage and honesty reveal such truths and visuals that you can’t help but laugh because you can see what he sees and you know you’d have done the same thing too. It is a quick read, one that I couldn’t put down (of course I had to because of work but . . . ) and finished it all too soon. If you want a delightful read, informative and enjoyable, pick it up. Although I will warn you there is a little language usage, but mostly in the “near death” scenarios. In general, he keeps it clean and amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment