Friday, December 3, 2010

Climbing the Walls

I mean it literally. Today I took a certifying Rock Wall Climbing class from none other than my roomie Lisa. She taught me all about how to tie an 8 knot, how to correctly attach my ropes and loop them through the harness. I even got to put on the cool climbing shoes and belay for a while. I'll admit I was terrified of falling so clung to the wall like a frozen monkey. All the while the argument raged in my head about being tied in, that I couldn't fall, that professionals were looking out for me, and there was no real danger. Imaginary danger I think is more vivid because you can picture what you want and there is no "logical" way to argue out of it.

I have since then climbed a second time with Blake, the guy who was there on my first day helping co-teach. I have fallen, belayed by myself, and even reached the top four times. Big steps for a very gravity friendly girl. I am even learning the lingo like - "hard points", "pinch test", and "I'm on you."

Learning to Belay a Climber

Tips I learned:

+Use your legs, not your arms or fingers to climb the wall or you'll hold a glass of water like you're a standing earthquake for a whole day afterwards.

+Looking good in a harness that tightens around your thighs and middle will never be possible nor comfortable.

+No matter how long you stare up at the wall, it will not get shorter

+When falling surrender to the motion don't fight it our you'll panic and grip for anything on the wall like a declawed cat.

+The closer to the wall you are, the easier it is to climb. And you'll look like you know what you are doing.

I had to come all the way to the Ice continent to learn to rock climb. I do pick the strangest places to learn new skills. Big Thanks to Lisa and Blake for all the help, patience and understanding. You guys are amazing and thanks for pushing me past the fear. I think I could go a little higher now.

1 comment:

  1. I got a postcard from my bestie today!!!!! YAY!!! I am not working too much! It's not working when you really enjoy it! :) And I will be headed out within the week to take pictures of the vitamin D and the foliage! And I will make sure to do take by take of Christmas tree shopping! :) Missing you!!!

    ReplyDelete