Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Friday September 24 – Cold Gear

Early this morning as I lay wide awake suffering from 12 hour time alteration, a tremor rocked my bed and I smiled. Fond memories of home flooded my mind and I was able to drift off back to sleep for a little while. They warned us when we landed that they were still suffering aftershocks but normally those warnings are just safety precautions. Not so, oh so not so!

Later that morning we went to the ECW, which stands for Equipment Control Warehouse, or something like that. Everything is turned into an acronym so I’m just warning you ahead of time. On the shuttle we all asked who had felt the aftershock and those that hadn’t were strongly disappointed to have missed it. Seems odd that people would feel such a way, but I guess growing up with them leaves the thrill lacking.

The ECW is in charge of the clothing supplied to those going to the Ice as well as where we fly out of and travel funds. Two bright orange bags were waiting for me as we entered the room and in a short time I had pulled out more winter clothes then I have owned in the last six years. Snow pants, Big Red - the Large Red Goose Down Parka you see in all the pictures with my own name velcroed to the outside. Fleece jackets, long underwear, even goggles. I felt like I was gearing up to go snowboarding as I lumbered around the room in my heavy ten pound bunny boots. I couldn’t stop grinning and others shook their heads as I performed childish antics around the room. I enjoy winter gear because being from Cali I don’t really get to wear it, but now is the perfect time to indulge in the heavy swishy pants and fling the scarf with flare around the neck.

Once everything was tried on, exchanged and tried on again, items were separated by what was necessary to wear on the plane and what could be checked for later delivery.

Sadly I learned we were not going to go by military cargo plane, having been upgraded to a private commercial charter much like a regular airline. Disappointed but with gear in hand we returned to our hotel rooms, dumping yet another piece of luggage then headed off to explore the town. Finding the botanical gardens, I marveled at the beauty of the flora wonderland that wrapped around me. Sounds of the city turned to whispers among the trees as the chilly breeze pushed through my mussed hair and stung my cheeks. I’m in New Zealand my mind kept trying to remind me as I looked around and the idea still seemed too surreal. Truly I am blessed with such an experience and I hope to not take any of it for granted.

We made it to Cathedral Square where the giant gothic building stands as a marker for the center of town. Climbing the tower stairs we got a 134 step view of the surrounding area and relished the bright sunlight as we snapped photos of the ant people below. The church suffered some minor damage in the quake, so scaffolding still remains in the center of the building until stonemasons can get to repairing it.

Later that evening we ate at an Indian restaurant called Two Fat Indians and I found the food most delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment