Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21 Thursday Morning - Late Night Out and About

Views from near the Runway ( Sun was Amazing)

Stayed up late today (for me, everyone else it was normal time) to go out with Matt, Brad and Jessica to Pegasus Runway. Matt and Brad were working, but kindly offered to let Jessica and I tag along to see the runway and escape from base. Sometimes I feel like I see more of Antarctica out the window then I actually go out into it.

Matt our driver for the day

Playing in Snow

Mind you this excursion was late for me having my normal bed time at 10am pushed to at least 12pm. I was willing to suffer this minor obstacle as I knew it would be the only time I would get to go. Once my day off moves to Saturday, they won't be going out and I won't get to get. The community has Sunday's off here, so most don't work - Matt and Brad included.

Runway In Sight (See it . . . .)

So off we set for Pegasus, with the slight possibility that we could visit the actual plane crash. Story goes that Pegasus was a plane that flew out to Antarctica in the 60's or 70's and the conditions were bad when they landed. The wind was so strong it ripped the left wing off and grounded the plane for good. No one was injured but they couldn't leave a wrecked plane near a runway (bad luck so they say) so they towed it away and left it out, alone in the snow. Until later when they needed an additional runway and created one not to far from the relocated wreckage and named it after the plane. How this is not bad luck, naming a runway after a wrecked plane is beyond me, but there it rests, silent, mangled, with names of those who have visited it, carved into it's sides.

Moving Snow

Once out there, people were busy working, plowing snow, moving things so we did not get a chance to go visit the plane.

Hanging out near the Runway

Instead we hung out in the snow, I ran around dancing, making snow angels, and enjoying the great white yonder. Sometimes just getting outside really brings the kid out in me and I love just running through the snow.

View of Storage Buildings

More Views

After the cold wore off and the sun came out it was beautiful and all thoughts of staying up late and regretting it melted away.

LDB (Long Duration Balloons)

After leaving Pegasus we drove around to other work sites, LDB (Long Duration Balloons) site where they launch huge balloons into the air carrying scientific instruments that map the wind patterns, currents, climate and others things. Saw "The Boss" a large vehicle that helps with the heavy pay loads these balloons carry.

The Boss (I'm in front that's how big it is)

Traffic on the Road

Large portions of scientists will be working at LDB and now I know where it is and what it looks like. After driving by happy camper, known correctly as Snow School (They do outdoor survival training. Some DA's get to do it but Mid-rats usually don't (sigh)) we drove up past Scott Base (The New Zealand Base all painted green) and when up to another site where they are going to install another large golf ball observatory. The view of McMurdo from up there was breathtaking and the whole trip was just a wonderful tour of the surrounding places outside McMurdo.

View from New Golf Ball Observation Point

McMurdo from the hills

Our Gang- Jessica, Brad, Matt, and Callie (I'm taking the pic)
Big Thanks to Brad and Matt for taking us along. You guys are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment