Saturday, October 23, 2010

October 24 Saturday/Sunday - Amazing Hike #2

Trail head - notice the flags trailing off into the distance

Today was my second day off of the week (I got two because I need to have a certain day off due to sandwich demand and they couldn't work me 10 days straight to my next day off). Arranged a hike to Castle Rock, a place three miles outside of town if you hike there. You can't go alone so you need to find a buddy and you have to check out with the firehouse, be issued a radio, and check back in when you return. It's a process.

Matt was kind enough to agree to go with me a few days before my day off, but when the hike day came he said he had to stay on base to monitor the power outage they were going to run (we were scheduled to go at 7pm) . I still really wanted to go so we agreed to push it back to 8pm when all the power came back on. Between that time I hung out in his work truck with him and Brad and listened to all the chatter on the radio as they prepared to shut down the one generator and let the other 3/4 take over. It was to see how long it would take them to switch over should a power failure occur. Everyone began to assembly in their assigned places calling in:
"Power Plant, Power Plant?"
"Power Plant Here."
"Electricians at Curry Lab Ready."
"Curry Lab Ready. Check."
"Electricians at 169 Ready."
"169 Ready. Check"
It felt like the Shuttle was being geared up for launch. As more spots radioed in, the tension began to build. They had not attempted to switch off all the power to the station before and the possibilities of something going wrong, or staying off too long hung overhead. Once everyone was assembled, count down began.
"This is Power Plant. Complete shut down commencing in 5,4,3,2,1. . . ."

All three of us looked at the light outside the chapel and for 3 seconds it clicked off. I held my breath waiting and then Matt pointed to billows of dark smoke that began to appear above the alternate generators. We glanced back at the light as it flicked back on. A complete power shut down of McMurdo and alternate generator response time, 15 seconds. I doubt people even felt it except for the 10 second shut down of Facebook, and the delay of bars opening for an hour. I was there, hearing it all, and when the "All Clear" call came, I grinned. NASA, we have shuttle launch.

So after the truck was parked, plugged in, and we were geared up, we checked in with the firehouse. Once we were given the all clear from the weather station (you can't hike to castle rock without a positive condition 3 for the whole trip) we headed up the steep incline to the trail head. That was the hardest part of the trail. You are already winded and doubling over before you even reach the start of the trail.
Trail head ( do I look winded?)

Once our boots were firmly planted on the flagged snow path, off we set, anxious to catch our first sight of the noted castle rock.

Now neither of us had been to Castle Rock so we were not sure where it was. A heavy thick white snow layer hung down on the sky cutting our visibility down to a mere 300 yards. Every mountain we passed, Matt claimed it was Castle Rock, but as we got closer, he'd shake his had and agree it wasn't. The full Loop takes up to 7 hours and is around 7 miles. Originally I wanted to do the full loop, but without being able to see how close Castle Rock was, I started to waver on that. We reached the first "apple" (emergency shelter) after a little over a mile.

Apple #1

Popping inside and hydrating, I looked around at this shell and thought what a strange building it was. Like those structures you see in science fiction films, where scientists always run their experiments inside and strange creatures approach from behind. The rounded windows were frosted over and there was no view outside, just a white glow of the reflected sun haze. Ready to move on we left Apple 1 and continued along the marked flagged path hoping to catch a glimpse of the Rock we were hiking toward.

At moments I would pause and take a scenic break (really I needed to pause because I couldn't breath, I'm not in Arctic shape yet but working on it with each hike) and I would have to remind myself I was hiking in Antarctica, out in the great white, wearing warm winter gear and my hiking boots that I originally bought for my London/Paris trip. I doubt they ever thought they'd see the day of thick snow and heavy chill at the South Pole, but they've done wonderful so far. By the time we made it to Apple 2 (a much larger and roomier scientific shelter) we had passed three mountains which we thought were Castle Rock, but were not. After another snack/hydration break we continued onward, a little slower and more gradual as our beginning energy was starting to cool done. Not more than a half a mile it rose up before us, a dark mass, rounded and shaped in a Castle Rock form.

Castle Rock as we saw it (almost . . .)

Castle Rock on a clear day (see how easy it is to spot ) This was not our hike day unfortunately

We'd made it, or found it, which ever it was a happy occasion. Snapping a picture for proof, we paused and then with no hesitation turned around and headed back. The full loop we would save for another day. Heading back was easier, quicker as it was all down hill, and in half the time it took to get to Castle Rock, we were back in camp, warmed and playing pool in the lounge.

It was a great trek, taking a little over 4 and 1/2 hours round trip. In two weeks we will try it again and this time do the full loop. Who knows we may even get clear skies and be able to see it when we start. On the way back my goggles froze over so I took them off and developed icicles on my eyelashes.

Who needs longer lashes when you've go icicles

Matt - with a icicle beard (too cool)

It did not seem that cold, but our facial hair proved otherwise. Boy is it good to be back. I'm going to have to go to gym some more between then and now to work up into better shape. Oh and I've officially sworn off sugar. Today is day 2 and doing well. Haven't even perused the dessert bar. Go me!!!

On a side note Saturday 23, 2010 was the last sunset of the winter season. Now we are fully into the 24 hours of daylight, and I just finished hiking till midnight and you couldn't even tell from the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment