Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Thursday September 23 - Made it to New Zealand


Finally here in the beautiful country of New Zealand. It has only taken 38 hours, two/three days and lots of waiting. Can’t believe I’m here, with amazing people and then going to be off to the Ice in less then 48 hours. Wow, talk about time travel. Two new highlights on the trip – 1. got to set on an exit row for a smaller flight but the leg room was relaxing – 2. got a seat with a back up against the wall on the plane where the restroom were so no guilt about reclining the seat to take a nap.

Right now it is 4:30 Thursday so I’ve lost a day. Wednesday literally didn’t happen this week and those who had birthdays on the 22nd of this month just lost them on the plane. Tomorrow is cold gear suit up day and site-seeing in the area. Then comes Saturday leaving before the moon even leaves the sky to head toward the ice.

It is chilly here with people wearing down jackets, scarves and winter clothes. I felt a little seasonally challenged with my flip flops and light sweatshirt. Pulling out some of the clothes I packed for the ice just to stay warm and shaking my head for not packing correctly once again. When will I ever get it right? (sigh)

Loving the hotel room, small, think Japan apartment with a retro modern feel. Literally a 12 x 12 bock, with every space filled with efficient storage and a bathroom that sits in the room blocked off with a half glass wall and sliding closure. I think it is amazing and wouldn’t mind having a studio like it. It does make you want to either sleep or leave, so right now I’m going to grab a nap and the head downstairs and meet up with fellow icers to grab some dinner and conversation.

Had Thai for dinner – Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment