Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Thursday September 30 – So cold it hurt

Today was a split shift for us, having to take our Serv Safe class I’ll go to work from 3pm-9pm tonight. Went for a walk with a few friends and walked out to Hut Point. Wanted to take a few pictures since I’ve been here for two days and haven’t. So wearing my jeans with a thermal underneath and big red, we went out and it was so cold my legs turned numb and I felt like I was rocking from hip to hip on stumps. Once we reached the point, the view was amazing, the air is so crisp that things always look sharp and clear. No smog, pollution or humidity. Just clear. I doubt you’ll find such an innocence of air anywhere else in the world. Still can’t believe I’m here.

So I pull out my camera from being tucked inside my parka, and the minute I pull off my gloves the below zero freeze sets in. I’m able to snap off literally three shots before my hands froze up. I lost the feeling and it stung so bad I wanted to cry. Fumbling to put my gloves back on I could just feel the frost bite set in. All the way down the hill I had my hands balled into fists and the last finger to thaw out was my thumb, the very tip. It was excruciatingly painful. I want you all to know I’m earning my cold badge right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment