Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Arrival Heights and the Cosray



Up on the ridge above the horizon is a sign. It is an ordinary sign with nothing that would draw the eye to it except what is written upon it.
"Arrival Heights -Warning - Stay Out.
Scientific Experiments being conducted."
Peering beyond the marker you see a small building that nearly blends into the white background and wonder "what sort of experiments?"

Well today with clearance I was able to get a tour of this scientific research site and another I did not know existed. What did I have to do to gain such coveted access? Slip on as cargo? Bribe a government official (with what I make that would be rather hard)? Stuff someone into a closet and run? Assume an alias by borrowing someone else's red parka (they all have name tags on them)? No, something more diabolical and clever. I wrote my name down as an alternate. Yes - an alternate. Meaning I was too late to be a primary and had to settle with the slot that was left.

Now my luck with being an alternate has not been the best. At times I've watched others tromp off with excitement to exotic locations while the guide shook his head and told me I wasn't going. Such sadness. Such heartbreak. But no. Not today. Not on this thrilling adventure. Four others failed to show so I got to go. (and no I did not have anything to do with their lack of attendance)

Our Shuttle
Everything is raised and bigger in Antarctica - Texas be jealous!

So piling into our shuttle, we met Chris our guide and science maintenance personnel who would lead us through the wonders of data and research. Up the graveled road we drove, bumping along and passing beyond the area any mortal man is allowed to go. Before entering the white building we first had to take in the scenery. Which is a must on any excursion. You never know when you might see something new (a tree or perhaps a squirrel).

Taking in the area - its not every day you're allowed to stroll around Arrival Heights

Once we had our fill of white, black and the wind which seemed agitated we were there at all, we passed through four seperate doors, one that resembled a meat fridge door and found ourselves in sort of a control center, with screens, beeping lights, and things that I did not know what they did. That's science for you.

-that's our guide Chris on the left

So our guide, Chris explained that they test for weather, wind, even clouds from the station. There were also several other items they were testing for, but his terminology frightened me so I quickly distracted myself with taking pretty pictures, hoping to appear interested but aloof (instead of confused and intellectually challenged. - I'm not sure it worked).

View from one of the windows

This is a lens for their large telescope that they use in monitoring something - I think they use it to watch the seals and count the Skuas.

Maybe we're the ones being monitored? I wonder . . .

Once all questions had been answered and we had been allowed adequate time to look around we were off again this time to something known as the Cosray. Sounded futuristic. I was excited expecting state-of-the-art high level construction to house such a destructive device; because that was what it had to be with a name like that. But then we pulled up to this . . .


Cleverly disguised I thought. They make it look like an old building with chipping red paint and plywood walls. But it is really just a cover. Inside there is stainless steel and a guard waiting with a machine gun. We'll be strip searched and our cameras confiscated until the tour is done. First things first, our hand will have to be scanned before we will be granted entry. Right?


Really? A freezer door handle is the security system for the Cosray? Things only got better inside with the dramatic decorating, dated telephone system and color scheme.

There at the bottom, see it? Good old fashion turn dial phone. I'm telling you Antarctica is a time warp of the past. Maybe I'll come back younger than older. Hmmmm.


Isn't that towel from the 70's? And why the one window? Were there no more towels?

Turns out the Cosray monitors cosmic rays that fall from the sky. Something like that. The full description was a hand drawn image on the wall, but it just looked like a family tree with lots of strange named relatives. I got more distracted with the idea that the building housed the longest running experiment - started in the 60's - that is still up and running. Monitored and sent back to the lab for analysis. The giant building housed the expriement and no one visited except for once or twice a week. I thought the building was abandoned and it turns out the one next to it is. Used to be a house or dorm with two small rooms and a very unique way of removing the "dirt".

Now why didn't I think that?

The tour was great and it was fun to learn about the type of research that goes on around the station. Now I can say I've been to Arrival Heights and the Cosray and cross it off my list. What to do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment