Friday, November 26, 2010

First Guided Tour - Pressure Ridge


So I got to lead my first Pressure Ridge Tour today. I was so nervous, all the possible worst case scenarios running through my head. I was up early with a racing heart wondering about falling through cracks, following the flags, dropping the radio. How the mind fixates on things. Like how something can go wrong in one situation twenty different ways and being so kind as to show you visually what it would be like.

Needless to say I was keyed up when my little group of six showed up. Thank goodness, fewer bodies then the allowed ten, to lose down a cravas. Armed with my handy ice ax, chest radio and throw bag, we boarded the shuttle and rode over to the start of the trail. Okay I told myself, just look around, follow the flags and don't let anyone die. It shouldn't be that hard. After a quick radio check, and putting stabilizers on, we headed out, with me as the lead and guide. My group was a mixture of people, all excited to be out, and all wanting to have a good time so that helped me relaxed. No wise guy wanting to pull pranks, or tripping hazard girl.

Strolling through, you can't help but thank God for his amazing artistic taste in the creation of his world. Every time I walk through the ridges, things have changed, shifted, and it always looks a little different.



Stopping for appropriate photos shots, we reached the seal bluffs. Cameras clicked like automatic machine guns, capturing every raised breath and flipper flinch.


Being a guide is different than being a tourist and sometimes it is just fun seeing things from that side. Thankfully the tour went well, no one died, drowned or even got wet. The seals were active and everyone got great photos. All in all a success.






1 comment:

  1. Hey girly, Missing you! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete