Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ice Cave


I've never waited in line for a concert, or even a Black Friday sale, but today I did. Since the Ice is melting rapidly, they are stopping most out going tours at the end of the week; but there was still one I had not been on - the Ice Cave. I'd heard it was small but worth seeing, except it always went during the week and there was no guarantee I'd be back before 10pm to start my shift. One trip did not get back till 12 midnight, while others barely came in under the wire. We are already running a small crew so I didn't want to make it any harder on them with me being late. I debated, discussed, and worried until finally I said "Do it."

First I had to get on the list, so at 4:30am (my time - pm normal time) I got in line. I was the first one there and I felt a little ridiculous but you never can judge how soon people will show up. Individuals walking by would ask what I was waiting for; I'd tell them, and then they'd ask what time the sign ups were - 6am (pm normal time). Some seemed surprised, while others just nodded, but all wished me luck and joked that I was pretty much going. Oh to add to the difficulty of getting on a list, you can sign up a friend. If there are twenty slots and you are the eleventh person in line, you might not be a primary.

So for the first time in my life, I waited in a "concert" line to get a "ticket" to the event. I have to admit I did take a little pride at being first, but just as quickly as I signed up I went back to bed. While waiting in line I met a wonderfully friendly girl named Geowoona from South Korea (yes Mary we talked all about Boys before Flowers and I even surprised her with Comsameda ("thank you" in Korean)) along with a French guy named Ludo. Both are scientists working out at LDB (Long Duration Balloons Station) and we chatted while waiting. Both were sensationally friendly and instead of reading my book as planned, we talked, laughed and bonded.

When we started out the next night for the trip, we made up a trio, and I got Kyle (our Delta Driver) to let us ride up front - Geowoona and I (Ludo rode up front on the way back). So off we set, two Deltas in tow with our Challenger bringing up the rear (they come along in case we get stuck - they can pull us out). Bumping up front, we spotted a seal on the side of the road who lazily watched us drive by while we pointed and waved. Geowoona had no idea that Erebus was a Volcano so both Kyle and I shared what we knew about it as she took pictures.

Kyle - Our Driver

Gowoo Na

The Challenger (Antarctic Tow Truck) right, Rooster "driver" left

The Ice Road - getting slushy now that the ice is melting

Before you reach the Ice Caves, you'll notice a trail of flags that look like acupuncture needles in the side of a white mound. They actually mark the trail to the cave and as we got closer you could feel the excitement level rise. Getting out and getting bundled up, the sun was hidden behind the clouds, the first six set off to get a view while we waited around and struggled with getting our stabilizers on.


Once set and good to go, we followed and waited at the mouth of the entrance for our turn while snapping photos and joking.

Part of the Ice Cave Crew

Skuas find you no matter where you are

Everyone waiting to go to the Ice Cave

Flags to the Entrance


Waiting to Go in at the Mouth


Ludo

Gowoon Na

Mouth of the Cave

Ice Beam


Last look before going in



From outside you could get a hint of what it was like inside, but once there, it was like nothing you imagined. Immediately the wind died down, the world fell into a hollow silence. Small ice diamonds and crystals jetted out in all directions, sparkling like jewels and so fragile, even to breath on them you felt would destroy them. Piece upon piece of ice crystals rested upon each other, sticking out in all directions, dangling on for dear life, glittering like fairy dust. Farther and farther back the cave stretched until it dropped down into a narrow single step path walled on either side by ice whales. Large mounds of ice that were slick to the touch and riding them down to the bottom you could look up into the blues of the Antarctic and see more ice formation as you feel the slight echo of those who have journeyed in with you. Like small children we "oh" and "ahhed", pointing and talking in hushed tones, all the while snapping so quickly you would have thought it was melting away.










Too soon we heard the call to come out, and like toddlers who don't want to leave, we drug our feet, knowing that yes there were others waiting, but but but . . . .


It was not what I expected, but so much more. All these amazing sites I wish you could just stay and absorb them, but maybe thats what makes them more special. Knowing this may be the only time there there, and you get to see them. So exiting out into the colder dark skies and wind, we rode back and thanks to Kyle's great driving I was back on Station at 9:30pm. No need to worry when he gets behind the wheel.

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures remind me of my postcard! AMAZING! I am so blessed to have you as a friend!!! I hope you are having a wonderful time!!!

    ReplyDelete