Friday, November 12, 2010

Pressure Ridges - Guide Training


Since having been a guide now for one Dirt tour and two days, I realized it was my calling in life while here at McMurdo and quickly looked into more positions available. Just in time I was able to get into the guide training for Pressure Ridge. Pressure Ridge is a natural formation that takes your breath away and slaps you across the face. Formed where the sea ice pushes against the permanent ice shelf, it only occurs during the summer and is a sight to behold.


Begging, pleading and then succeeding, I got myself added to the guide training just in the nick of time. Heading out we were taken by experienced guide Peggy, who has been here years, and shown the sight while being instructed on the uses of a throw rope, what to do if someone got really wet -like falling through a mush spot wet - and how to radio MacOps when we lead our groups.

Peggy - Our guide and Pressure Ridge Expert Extraordinar

Armed with ice axes, a radio and cameras we followed the flags weaving among the frozen waves of pressure and ice.



Towering overhead, formations curled like gnarled fingers and shot out like shattered glass against the second day of creation blue sky.





Stabbing the ground with our ice axes, we probed for fissures and cracks that could lead to broken ankles and slushy feet. Pressure Ridge is maintained by the Kiwis (it is directly in front of their base) and every few days the flags rearrange themselves to provide the safest route possible.



Cresting one ridge we spotted something that thrilled my heart. Seals. Not blobs off in the distance like specks of dust, but real wild seals feet away. There were a total of five, three adults and two pups. Not only was the tour of the natural formations amazing but seals got tossed in as an added bonus and I did not even have to pay to upgrade by ticket (the tour is free by the way - all the tours are).



The pup taking a peek as we passed by



After snapping numerous digital images we moved on and concluded our tour with a quick shuttle ride back. Now I'm trained and can lead others. Only it seems like there are more guides than tours so for now I'll just have to wait. I don't mind. I am trained and that won't change. So now added to my title of Dining Attendant, Flight Lunch Maker, Field Lunch Provider, Dirt Tour Guide, I can add Pressure Ridge Leader. I'm just collecting the titles like pretty pebbles. I can't wait till my bag is full and I can do everything. Everything!!! (evil slightly insane laugh)

Extra pictures below, I just could not stop. God's creation is breathtaking!







Group Photo. Can you find me?




No comments:

Post a Comment