Saturday, November 20, 2010

Shuttle Training

During my Holiday I decided to not just lounge around and read, but to learn a new skill - Like how to drive the shuttles here on base so I can help out the recreation department. I got a three hour training course so I am now able to drive the raised vans and the Airporter. Training was fun, seeing how it has been almost three months since I've driven and there is nothing like slipping behind the wheel of a vehicle to get a burst of wild independence.

Don't worry, the fastest you can go is 25mph outside the station limits, so no drag racing or doughnuts happened. I learned that you need to unplug the vehicle before you can start it . . .


and that the diesels here have a dual switch so you turn the key part way to warm up one section, and then turn it all the way when the light clicks off. With this handy knowledge I got my first real experience being an Airporter Shuttle driver for the Scott's Base Skirt party this evening. I moved around 40 souls to and from the base in their crazy costumes and wild skirts. I saw more hairy legs and leopard print then I thought existed on this continent. I also had more fun just hearing people laugh and joke then if I'd slept in. Which I wanted to do because it was around 7:45 pm (am) for me. But it was well worth it and I now feel quiet confident with my new driving skills.

The Airporter - a 19 passenger Vehicle of Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment