Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cape Evans and the Iceberg


Last Saturday I went on a trip that I have desperatly been trying to go on for over a month. It all started back with Hike #2. When we got back and were playing pool a group of people came in, faces red, eyes shining and began raving about this place called Cape Evans. What is it? I asked. Turns out it is a point where Scott the Explorer had a hut, kind of like a home base, and then one day they just left. Everything is still there, waiting for their return which will never happen. On the way to this hut there is an iceberg/glacier that was not there the year before that you get to see and photography.

Well hearing this I immediately knew I wanted to go. I had also heard rumors that the sea ice was melting and if that happened Cape Evans would close and we wouldn't get to go. Panicking, knowing that it could happen any day, I set my alarm for 5:15pm (my am) the following Thursday ready to wait to sign up. Only when my alarm went off, I snoozed and before I realized it it was 5:30pm (am) and I was falling out of bed. Flying out the door, I rounded the corner to discover a line of people already blocking the way. Ah man, I thought taking up a spot in the back. I'll wait anyways. Once the list went up, the crowd surged forward and as I moved I anxiously hoped I'd be able to my name on the adventure plan.

Sadly I had come too late. As an alternate I signed up and walked away feeling disappointed and upset for sleeping. Needless to say I did not get to go that week. So the next week I set my alarm again, this time for 5:00am and got up when it went off. Sitting in the hall, this time prepared with a good book, the announcement was made this trip was only going to the iceberg, not the hut because BBC was filming there. Not willing to wait I signed up anyways and was near the middle of the list. At last I was going.

But the day of the trip, I get a knock on my door with the news that it has been canceled. Our mode of transportation is broken and we can't go. Plus our names will not roll over for next week, so yet again I am up around 5:15am the third week to try again. Third times a charm they say but as I get up to add my name, the last slot fills and I simply stare in disbelief thinking, if I'd just been five minutes sooner. If I hadn't stopped to use the restroom, if .... if....if. Figuring why not I added my name as an alternate along with a few friends who were waiting with me, and left, shoulder slumped not holding out much hope but feeling good I was at least the 1st alternate and not the last like my first attempt.

So a few days before we leave I bump into the trip coordinator who shares good news. I'm a primary! I jump up and down in the hallway clapping my hands, frightening a few dinner goers as I do a little jig singing "I going, I'm going," all the way to work. Turns out a few people had not taken the class they needed to leave base and had to be pulled from the list. I'd made it along with all my friends.

Saturday morning I was up at 6pm (am) dressed in full winter gear and ready to go. Piling into the Delta, a vehicle that looks like it came from Star Wars, we set off down the Ice road heading off into the white horizon.

The Delta -you ride in the back

Meet the Cast of Characters for this Adventure - - -

Sarah - Roomie One

Kim

Lisa - Roomie number two

Camille (left) and Jessica (who you've already met)

I'd never seen a vast wasteland of white from ground level, always from above or distracted by different sites, except here there was nothing but where one shade of white met another cloudy white and like crossing the frozen desert we drove onward. As we bumped along, safety is always an issue, so we were told to wear our seatbelts. You know how everything in Antarctica is bigger here, well models if you will . . .


- note the hand size comparison:


See there is no need to worry when you travel here. With the exception of falling through the ice, freezing to death or suffering from sever dehydration you are perfectly safe when you move around the continent. Feel better now Mom? The only safety issue that may arise is when you try and disembark from the Delta. Watch that last step it can be a doozee.


After safely exiting our Star Wars crafts, our first stop on this Ice Planet five hour tour was the glacier and it was spectacular.




So small I can hold it in my hand - sort of






Half moon half way in the sky








Note the tracks on her boots - another safety item

Lisa got a little excited and tried climbing it. She did not get very far but I commend her for giving it her all


Just kidding, this was taken with her lying on the ground. Had you going though didn't we -heheheh.


Antarctica Sharing

Opps . . .

Camille making an Ice Angle



After spending time walking around the Glacier and seeing it sparkle in the evening sunlight (by the way it is 12 midnight when we are doing this. Can you believe it with all that sun light? Welcome to 24 hours of sunlight. You can tour at any time and still get great lighting) we boarded the Delta and headed towards Scott's Cabin. Crossing the ice sea, snow gave way to hard ice. It was like walking on a giant ice skating rink as we glided across it toward the cabin. It is the equivalent of a ghost town here, with crates still stacked waiting to be opened, rope left coiled and a hut left abandoned, as though the occupants will return any moment and find us standing inside. But they won't, most died on the continent while others have left, passed on and only this simple wooden structure remains. Standing as a monument to their struggle in history. Welcome to Scott's Hut, a time capsule of exploration long before we even knew what man could achieve.



Scott's Hut - Cape Evans


















Before we left, we had a little ice fun . . . .

Trying to hold the Delta in my hand but instead supporting it on my wrist





On the way back we got to ride up front with Shuttle Bob for a full view from the front seat. It was like riding on a high stage coach as you bumped and bopped around the wide open ice road in front of us. What a way to end a trip and it was worth all the struggle, lack of sleep and line waiting.

Sometimes you just need to give it a good push to get it going


Shuttle Bob and Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment